Re: Crocodile Rock

chris brochu (gator@mail.utexas.edu)
15 Oct 1995 15:26:26 GMT

In article <45qvk9$m1d@prometheus.algonet.se> Magnus Sterky,
sterky@algonet.se writes:
>How come any species woulsd survive co-existing with crocodiles and Hippos? In >fact, they have, so
>the potential dangers can be overcome by certain measures. Even by Aour >ancesters., supposedly the
>brightest around at that time...

We've been through this one already.

Animals that co-exist with crocodylians share one of three
characteristics:

1. They are very large (i.e. hippos), or

2. they swim very, very well (i.e. otters), or

3. they can get out of the water in a real hurry (i.e. ducks).

Humans arguably share none of these. The earliest hominids were much
smaller than we are; as a former competitive swimmer, I assure you that
fast swimming is not natural for us; and as a former lifeguard, I can
assure you that a "fast wade" is an oxymoron.

Indeed, as I think about this more, I think the proto-human-as-swimmer
thing is pigshit. Suppose you are swimming and are attacked by a croc.
What do you do? Do you calmly and efficiently swim away? I've never
been attacked by a croc, but I have been frightened in the water, and
I've seen others likewise panic. A human in such circumstances usually
thrashes around pointlessly, choking on water. I'm sure there are true
stories of surfers or divers who managed to keep their cool while
attacked by a shark, but this would not be the general response for the
average person.

ps. I agree- the danger from crocs in a marine setting is overstated.
But, they do occur there.

chris