Re: lions, chimps and sticks

Rich Travsky (rtravsky@UWYO.EDU)
10 Oct 95 23:13:46 MDT

hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:
>r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:
>
>> Just imagine you're facing a _dozen_ chimp sized and chimp
>>strength primates (and chimps have several times the strength of a
>>man--even though they are physically smaller), that surround you and
>
>1) lions don't hunt alone
And chimps don't travel alone either.

>2) how many lbs can chimps curl?
>3) how many lbs can they press?
Irrelevant. A better measure is how hard can a chimp hit you.
You use human standards (i.e., the sport of weight lifting) that
don't cross species well.

>>pelt you with rocks, sticks, and assorted blunt objects. Face one and
>>another hits you from behind. _And_, they're hitting you _before_ you
>
>What rocks? Since when did chimps become baseball pitchers?
>I bet they're piss poor throwers. They won't stand a chance.
Zoo patrons have learned that primates can be quite accurate
in throwing things.

The throwing of bric-brac alone is probably not sufficient in and
of itself. Accompanied by screaming and arm waving etc and you
have a much more effective display.

+----------+ http://plains.uwyo.edu/~rtravsky/