Re: "Diving" reflex... was Re: First Family and AAT

Phil Nicholls (pnich@globalone.net)
Mon, 09 Oct 1995 05:00:16 GMT

hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) graced us with the following
words:

>j#d#.moore@canrem.com (J. Moore) writes:

>>(Lin 1982) pg. 271:
>>"However, universality of the "diving" responses is well recognized
>>in that these responses exist in all vertebrates studied so far,
>>differing only in intensity and tempo."

>It seems to stop short of what we really want to know. It's
>binary; yes or no. It's insufficient.

>Is there a pattern?

>Is there a correlation with the evolutinary scale?

>Is there any correlation with any of the subclassifications?

>How about comparisons to otters, polar bears and diving birds?
>Is there one place where one can see plots of the reflex
>against various conditions?

>>(Elsner and Gooden 1983) pg. 20:
>>1974). Terrestrial mammals generally do not respond as
>>immediately nor as markedly as the aquatic species."

>Yes. What are the differences?

>Which aquatic species?

>>(Bove and Davis 1990) pg. 66:
>> "One of the most intriguing findings with regard to diving
>>medicine is the occurrence of cardiac arrhythmias during
>>
>>during diving. In humans, it is common to find various types of
>>arrhythmias even during simply breath-holding."

>Are arrythmias common among animals at all?

>Under what kinds of conditions do arrythmias occur
>in animals?

>--

> Regards, Mark
> http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey

Mark,

The original article, I believe, contained citations which you can
easily obtain. If you want to know more about the diving reflex, feel
free to dig into the available literature.
Phil Nicholls pnich@globalone.net
"To ask a question you must first know most of the answer"
-Robert Sheckley