Re: Leopards and chimps...

Harry Erwin (herwin@gmu.edu)
Sat, 07 Oct 1995 17:32:56 -0400

In article <60.3024.7295.0N1F7741@canrem.com>, j#d#.moore@canrem.com (J.
Moore) wrote:

> ----trimmed
>
> And that is probably why chimpanzees are subject to greater danger
> from leopards in heavily forested areas than they are in more open
> areas.

Lee Talbot recently told me that leopards are the primary predator on
chimps, which is why chimps mob leopards when they have the chance. The
risk of leopard attack is higher in the bush than in the open (treeless)
savanna. What happens when a leopard climbs up into a tree is also
interesting. Every primate in the tree leaves rapidly, screaming loudly.

--
Harry Erwin
Internet: herwin@gmu.edu