Re: AAT:A method to falsify

David Froehlich (eohippus@moe.cc.utexas.edu)
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 12:03:42 -0500

On 6 Oct 1995, H. M. Hubey wrote:

> r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:
>
> >>It would depend on the temperature of the water.
>
> > Sorry, but when I took SCUBA training, one of the things we
> >learned is that there is _no such thing_ as "warm water diving." Even
>
> There's nothing wrong with what I said. Heat flows from hot to
> cold. If the water temperature was 98.6 there'd be no heat loss.
> If it was hotter, the ape/man/humanoid would overheat. If the
> water was cooler but the air outside was hotter, he'd have to
> switch between the two.
>
>assorted drivel about whether or not water in 1995 is ever this warm

You again demonstrate your profoun ignorance of the scientific literature
by suggesting that the water temperature anywhere exposed to the
atmosphere and not heated by volcanic activity could be 98.6 and that
hominids were living in it.

The ratio of two isotopes of oxygen can be measured. The change in
del018 can be directly tied to global average temperature. These 018
curves indicate pretty precisely that the earth has not been that warm
since at least the Cretaceous (I am not a geochemist so thie above is a
bit of a simplification. If there is a geochemist in the audience would
you please post a follow up if I am leaving something out).

David J. Froehlich Phone: 512-471-6088
Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory Fax: 512-471-5973
J.J. Pickle Research Campus
The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712