Re: AAT Theory

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
3 Oct 1995 23:31:07 -0400

r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:

>>We are discussing savannah (i.e. the closest thing to the open
>>plains) where these days lions, hyenas and wild dogs prowl.
> ^^^^^^^^^^

> Wealth of meaning in those two words.

Yes. I assume none of us was around millions of years ago and
watched the predators at work those days.

> A: Lions don't generally hunt in packs. BTW, the word isn't
>"pack" when dealing with lions. A social grouping of lions is called

Pack is a generic word. Pride, herd, gaggle, etc don't mean much
more than pack/herd/bunch/group.

Prides to work in groups, and so do hyenas and wild dogs,
and wolves, and .....

> B: hyenas aren't the worlds most courageous animals. Given a
>choice between fighting and running, they'll generally run.

Scaring off lion prides doesn't seem to smack of much
cowardice. Hyenas are probably pretty vicious but I don't
know how I'd go around measuring viciousness. It'd be better
to avoid this kind of arguments.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey