AAT at AAPA meetings -- No Way!

Alex Duncan (aduncan@mail.utexas.edu)
13 Nov 1995 13:34:24 GMT

In article <48587q$84i@news.global1.net> Phil Nicholls,
pnich@globalone.net writes:

>>You misconstruing the nature of this debate, Phil. AAT stuff does not
>>get "serious peer-review"; it does not get scientific editorializing;
>>Ms Morgan does not get invited to PA meetings. She would never be
>>allowed to present papers at them. Consequently there are no, or few,
>>"authoritative" papers for references. It's usually silly to ask.
>
>What is interesting is that this is the exact same argument used by
>creationists. Indeed Duane Gish said this almost word for word at the
>1982 Arkansas trail. I will therefore give the same answer I
>usually give on talk.origins.
>
>Bullshit.
>
>One can become a member of the American Association of Physical
>Anthropologists by paying a $50.00 membership fee ($30.00 for a
>student). As a member of the association you can present a paper or
>poster at the yearly meetings of the AAPA. I can assure you that if
>Ms. Morgan or anyone interested in her work were to submit an abstract
>by the require deadline (usually around the end of September for
>meetings held the last week of March or first week of April) they
>would find themselves on the schedule.

I just want to chime in here to confirm Phil's point. There aren't a lot
of rejections for abstracts for the AAPA meetings. I think they average
something like 4 - 5 rejections a year, out of several hundred
submissions. In fact, the rejection process seems to be so slack that
I've considered entering a prank abstract (how about: naming a new
hominid species based on a rib fragment?) A well reasoned and written
abstract favorable to the AAH would almost certainly be accepted. I
hereby encourage Ms. Morgan (or anyone else) to submit. It's too late
for the 1996 meetings, but if you start now you have almost a year to
prepare for the 1997 meetings.

Alex Duncan
Dept. of Anthropology
University of Texas at Austin