Re: The Gathering Hypothesis, was Bipedalism and...

Rick Abrams (ricka@praline.no.NeoSoft.com)
14 May 1995 11:58:48 -0500

I've been enjoying the discussion in this newsgroup, so I thought
I'd toss out this idea as strawman argument. Most professionals
are having a problem explaining human bipedialism in terms of a
environmental adaptation. Maybe it isn't. Could it instead be
the result of sexual selection? Several primate species have
special features caused by sexual competetion. I can easily
see an upright posture used as part of a mating ritual (I'm
taller than my competetion). This could push the trait through
a brief awkward phase and the its other benefits would insure
its further development.

--
rha