Re: Race - why & when

Evan Hodgens (uncaug@well.com)
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 05:14:40 GMT

In article <3jojeo$2mf@news.sas.ab.ca>, davidwss@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ()
wrote:

> Evan Hodgens (uncaug@well.com) wrote:
> : In article <3j3d05$65m@access3.digex.net>, huston@access.digex.net (Herb
> : Huston) wrote:
>
> : >
> : > What about the Tasmanians? They lived at a latitude comparable to
> : > Vladivostok's, and we know they were stuck there for a long time.
> : >
> : Tasmanians, aka Maori, are polynesians and were stuck there for about
> : 500 years, tops.
>
> Just on the off chance someone might think you mean what you typed, let
> me point out that the Maori are Polynesians who have been in NEW ZEALAND
> for about 1000 years, according to the authorities I've read (e. g. Brian
> Fagan), making New Zealand the last major land mass colonized by homo
> sapiens. The Tasmanian aboriginals are related to the Australian
> aboriginals (and NOT Polynesian), having reached Tasmania when water
> levels were low and it was connected to Australia by land. This event,
> if I remember the authorities, took place perhaps 30,000 years ago (maybe
> a little less). Tasmania is as far south as Oregon is north.
>
> : --
> : There is no such thing as a dumb question, but there IS such a thing as
> a dumb answer - I've given some.
>
> That does mean you weren't serious, right?
>
> David Wasserman (davidwss@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca)
> Curmudgeon-At-Large (DWasserman@edc.gov.ab.ca)
> "If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it badly."

Well, serious, but a tad mixed up about geography. Of course, the point
was that there is no reason to think that Polynesians would be "white", for
the reasons you pointed out. As for possible reasons why Tasmanians
aren't "white", see my
reply to the previous post. Come to think of it, the original inhabitants
of Oregon aren't
"white" either.

--
There is no such thing as a dumb question, but there IS such a thing as a dumb answer - I've given some.