Re: fossil evidence of disease

Erin Miller (ermiller@tezcat.com)
18 Jun 1995 23:15:53 -0500

In article <3s2ac5$km@nnrp1.primenet.com>,
Richard Spear <rspear@primenet.com> wrote:
>Hi all -
>
>Has anyone run across references to fossil evidence of disease in hominids/AHS?
>I've searched the literature and haven't come up with a thing.

You've tried searching "Paleopathology"? I'm surprised you couldn't find
anything, there are many books on the subject. Here are a few to start
you off (these are in English, there are also a number of good ones in
French):

Brothwell, D. and Sandison A.T. (1967) _Diseases in Antiquity_.
Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas

Jassens P.A. (1970). _Palaeopathology: Diseases and Injuries of
Prehistoric Man_ London: Baker.

Ortner, D.J. and Putschar W.G.J. (1981) _Identification of Pathological
Conditions in Human Skeletal Remains_ Smitsonian contributions to
anthropology, no 28. Washington DC: Smithsonian Institution Press.

There is also a classic by Steinbock, but I don't have the cite offhand.

-erin

--
"On the internet nobody knows you're a dog ...
but damn if everyone won't know what your cat looks like." -fatz

Erin Miller http://www.tezcat.com/~ermiller/erin.html
University of Chicago / Anthropology Department / ermiller@tezcat.com