Re: Breast Size (Was: Re: Homosexuality and genetic determinism)

Bryant (mycol1@unm.edu)
2 Jun 1995 12:41:09 -0600

In article <3qlj4c$90i@tardis.trl.OZ.AU>,
Jacques Guy <jbm@newsserver.trl.oz.au> wrote:
>mycol1@unm.edu (Bryant) writes:
>
>>Quantity/quality questions don't really require an adaptation that makes
>>women "less attractive" to solve. That (I think--?) was the original posit:
>>women evolved breasts to reduce their attractiveness and hence, group tensions.
>
>Once again, women have not evolved breasts TO whatever. Nor have dugongs.
>You don't evolve TO. You evolve, period.

You don't evolve. Lineages and populations evolve. Because fitness
advantages shape many traits (adaptations), it's fair to say that those
traits evolved TO provide those fitness advantages. Our opposable thumbs
evolved TO grasp (Gil, leave that one alone, eh?)...

Bryant