Re: Parasites and paleoanthropology

Nick Maclaren (nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk)
21 Jul 1996 19:09:00 GMT

In article <837872626snz@crowleyp.demon.co.uk>,
Paul Crowley <Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <4sqboc$lgc@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>
> nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk "Nick Maclaren" writes:
>
>> So animals without fixed home bases don't have species-specific
>> exoparasites (of the flea type)? Well, well, well. I learn something
>> new every day :-)
>
>Fleas jump on for a feed and then jump off. If the host never
>returns to base they die. So chimps and gorillas don't have them.

Many birds have fleas, but very few have permanent homes.

>> In fact, the existence of water-borne parasites does not even show
>> that humans used permanent water-holes. If the parasite can last a
>> complete dry season in either the human or the dormant phase of the
>> aquatic host, then it can be transmitted entirely via transient water
>> holes and streams.
>
>You should not be so dogmatic when you are so ignorant. ...

Please educate me by telling me what is incorrect in the statement
that I made above.

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email: nmm1@cam.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679