Re: AAH

Stephen Barnard (steve@megafauna.com)
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:35:48 -0800

david l burkhead wrote:

> > However, it's up to the one's trying to claim that there's some
> > remarkable difference to show that the difference exists.
>
> Sorry, but Richard Foy wasn't proposing this as evidence for the AAH, he
> was merely trying to counter Stephen Barnard's assertion that humans have
> no instinctive ability to swim. So it's up to Stephen Barnard to provide
> the evidence for or against, by your argument, not Richard, because
> Stephen proposed the hypothesis that we have no instinctive abilities to
> swim.

I want to make this crystal clear: I *never* asserted that humans have
no instinctive ability to swim. You must have gotten confused by the
depth of the quotes. I have *NO POSITION* on this question.

I am, however, very interested in dogs and I participate actively in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior. Remarkably, some people in that newsgroup
have reported that they actually had to *teach* their Labrador
Retrievers to swim. The Labrador Retriever is bred primarily for
retrieving ducks from a boat or a blind. A typical Lab can swim like
a seal.

Steve Barnard