Re: Apology to Ms. Morgan

Elaine Morgan (elaine@desco.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 7 Jul 1996 12:23:58 GMT

In article <rfoyDsAzqv.GLw@netcom.com> rfoy@netcom.com wrote...

> In article <4oo4nt$dnl@ra.cc.wwu.edu>, Phillip Bigelow <bh162@scn.org> wrote:
> >rfoy@netcom.com (Richard Foy) wrote:
> >

> >Just out of curiosity....
> >After you had read about the research on Orangatans in Morgan's book, did
> >you take what Elaine wrote at face value? And if you did take it at face
> >value, .....why?

Presumably because it was fully documented and he had no reason to
distrust the sources I used. Have you any
reason to?

. A reference to a primary source does not
> demonstrate a fact, it is only a pointer.

If you are not going to accept primary sources you are in shtook. You
can say nothing about animal behaviour unless you have witnessed it with
your own two eyes, nothing about internal anatomy unless you have
persoanlly dissected a corpse...Why do scientific papers have those long
lists of references if they are all going to be treated as suspect?

Elaine>