Re: scientists and inquiries, dingell and nih

Richard Foy (rfoy@netcom.com)
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 15:13:33 GMT

In article <Dtz82D.EB3@rci.ripco.com>,
caroline laskow <caroline@sqn.com> wrote:
>in today's nyt op-ed piece on the nih fraud trials -- several
>scientists whose careers were fairly trashed before the verdicts even
>come, then recently exonerated of all charges -- bernadine healy notes
>the establishment of an nih appeals board, which would allow the
>accused to scientist to defend themselves against their accusers (what
>a novel idea). my nagging worry is the involvement of ANY funding
>orgainization such as nih being part of a judiciary committee such as
>that. is there not a way to form an appeals board from a groupd of
>non-interested scientists? i am assuming agriculturists have at least
>as hellish inquiries when your practices are questioned,as would other
>scientists, so i'm posting this to several groups. is this a crazy,
>naive thought?

It makes a lot of sense to me. However, I think it might be very hard
to implement such an appeals board.

--
"Do you know why Moses wandered in the wilderness for fourty years."(pause)
He was a man and men don't ask directions." --Nun in the play Nunsense

URL http://www.he.tdl.com/~hfanoe/womquote.html Womens Quotations