Re: Savannah strawman

Richard Foy (rfoy@netcom.com)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:42:08 GMT

In article <keith.44.000D2FF4@GECKO.BIOL.WITS.AC.ZA>,
Keith Norris <keith@GECKO.BIOL.WITS.AC.ZA> wrote:
>In article <31C97F3C.41C67EA6@sees.bangor.ac.uk> Ian <ian@sees.bangor.ac.uk> writes:
>>From: Ian <ian@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
>>Subject: Savannah strawman
>>Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:41:32 +0100
>
>>Many sceptics of the AAH in this newsgroup are saying that the savannah
>>theory was a strawman 'invented' by Elaine Morgan and co.
>
>>I have to say that if it was a strawman it was very well done, since I
>>and ALL of the people I have heard an opinion from (outside of this
>>group) have been brought up with the idea of man being an ape who moved
>>into the savannah and stood up. It was what we were taught in school,
>>it was what we saw on the telly.
>
>>So could some of the people who claim it is a strawman explain to me
>>how a non-existant theory came to hold such a position in the public
>>mind.
>
>>thanks
>
>>Ian France
>

>I think you're misinterpretting the meaning of 'strawman'. What this refers
>to is a theory misrepresented by others so that they can more easily knock it
>down.

That really doesn't answer his question, which is also my question.
How did the generaly population get the idea that savanna was the
scientific theory.

--
"Do you know why Moses wandered in the wilderness for fourty years."(pause)
He was a man and men don't ask directions." --Nun in the play Nunsense

URL http://www.he.tdl.com/~hfanoe/womquote.html Womens Quotations