Re: Auel's sources (was R

Erin Miller (ermiller@tezcat.com)
24 Jul 1995 22:24:53 -0500

In article <60.2325.7295.0N1ECB0D@canrem.com>,
J. Moore <j#d#.moore@canrem.com> wrote:
>Pn> >And who came up with the notion that the first Cro-Magnons were
>Pn> >blond?
>
>Pn> And the neandertals dark-skinned.
>Pn> Phil Nicholls (pnich@globalone.net)
>
>I don't know, but I know Bjorn Kurten, if I have the correct guy,
>explicitly reversed that in his novels, reasoning that blonde and
>lighter-skinned would go with a more northerly-adapted people.

Hmmm. but Neandertals were better adapted for the cold. When you look at
cold-dwelling peoples now, such as the inuit, they are dark-haired, but I
suppose that could be from having descended from Asian groups.
Personally, I think the argument is molded to fit whatever people want it
to: 'Northerly races are pale and blond,' but Neandertals were more
Northerly-adapted, so I guess they were just pasty-faced.

-erin

--
"On the internet nobody knows you're a dog ...
but damn if everyone won't know what your cat looks like." -fatz

Erin Miller http://www.tezcat.com/~ermiller/erin.html
University of Chicago / Anthropology Department / ermiller@tezcat.com