Re: Picture of Fossilized Foot Prints

Michael McBroom (bodhi@earthlink.net)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 10:42:19 -0500

RXFOOTDOC wrote:

> I am a podiatrist. I have seen a picture of fossilized foot prints in
> mud. I am writing a book about the feet for the Nail Professionals and
> would like to use this picture in a section of the book about the
> evolution of the human foot. I can not find the picture. Can any one
> tell me where to look?
>
> Thanx! rxfootdoc@aol.com

You're probably referring to the "Laetoli footprints," which were
thought to have been left by the species Australopithecus afarensis some
3.6 MYA. Richard Leakey's and Roger Lewin's book _Origins Reconsidered_
has a photo of a couple of the prints. I'm sure lots of other books
will, also. As to where you'll be able to obtain a released original
for publication, I couldn't tell you. Incidently, there was an issue of
National Geographic some years back (sorry, I don't recall which) that
featured this find. You may be able to locate the issue by doing a
boolean search on "Laetoli footprints" AND "National Geographic" with
one of the search engines on the 'net.

Regards,

Michael McBroom
CSUF Linguistics