Re: pyramid mortar containing old material much older than construction

His Satanic Majesty (eskdale@mindspring.com)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 00:01:41 -0800

John the ForeRunner wrote:

> Good point Frank.
>
> > On Tue, 07 Jan 1997 11:00:06 -0500, Doug Bailey
> > <aessedai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > >................... Scholarly consensus holds that the Great Pyramid
> > >was built by the Fourth Dynasty Pharoah Khufu in the period of 2551 BC
> > >to 2528 BC. It should be noted that carbon dating of organic material
> > >within the mortar (from several areas of the Great Pyramid has yielded
> > >dates 3809 BC and 2869 BC (there is a modest range with these
> > >measurement methods but they illustrate that the mortar was laid into
> > >position no later than the 26th millenium BC).
>
> fmurray@pobox, frank murray wrote:
> > i've difficulty following your reasoning here...the carbon dating
> > indicates that the mortar was laid no earlier than 3809 BC, but how do
> > you establish from this carbon dating that it was laid no later than
> > the 26th millennium BC...could we not mix and lay mortar today that
> > contained organic materials from 3809 BC??...
> > frank

Not to mention the fact that the 26th millenium BC would be 26,000 years
not 2600 years, he meant 26th century BC, I presume.

That is a very good question, how do you carbon date a composite or
agglomerate (or however mortar would be classified geologically) made at
one date of substances that are of an older date?