Re: Neanderthal "voice boxes"?

Gerrit Hanenburg (G.Hanenburg@inter.nl.net)
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 17:43:19 GMT

Phillip Bigelow <bh162@scn.org> wrote:

>I (or someone else here) can provide the complete reference
>for the neanderthalis hyal bone described in _Nature_. Unfortunately,
>I am away from my library, and don't have the ref. here with me.

The reference is: Arensburg,B., Tillier,A.M.,Vandermeersch,B.,
Duday,H., Schepartz,L.A. and Rak,Y. (1989). A middle palaeolithic
human hyoid bone. Nature 338:758-760.

In Aiello and Dean's "An Introduction to Human Evolutionary Anatomy"
it is described as "entirely modern-human like" as far as morphology
is concerned (p.243).
There is an actual size photograph on page 107 in Johanson,D.C. and
Edgar,B.(1996). From Lucy to Language. Simon and Schuster Editions.

Gerrit