Re: What to name them? (was Re: NEW STORE OPENING UP)

Stephen Watson (swatson@bnr.ca)
24 Feb 1995 20:13:01 GMT

In article <3ik5dn$k4t@nyheter.chalmers.se>,
Bertil Jonell <d9bertil@dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:
>In article <1995Feb21.122715.23423@zeus.franklin.edu>,
>David N. Kempster <kempster@zeus.franklin.edu> wrote:
>>In article <3iagah$m9m@news.rain.org> bross@rain.org () writes:
>>>This is especially true given that "native" Americans are not really
>>>native anyway, having emigrated from Mongolia. They are only "native" in
>>>relation to European settlers who found them here.
>>
>>This is such nonsense. First of all, even if you buy the emigration
>>theory (which many indians do not)
>
> Why? Do they feel too superior to originate in Africa like the
>rest of us Homo Sapiens?

I think it's a political thing. I first heard this idea during the
Oka stand-off, back in '90. It seems the Creator placed the first
people here on Great Turtle Island. Now, as much as I try to respect
other peoples' beliefs (including their myths), this sounds no more
plausible than the Creation myth of my ancestral culture
(Caucasian/Christian). My culture had to endure the trashing of it's
myth by modern science: so will theirs. I'm sorry for the Indians to
whom it might be important, but them's the breaks.

>"It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political view or
> strange religion there exists a proponent on the Net. The proof is left as an
> exercise for your kill-file."

Indeed! ;-)

--
Steve Watson: Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Ont. Canada
swatson@bnr.ca, watson@sce.carleton.ca