Re: Homo Erectus Finds!

cc3265@albnyvms.bitnet
6 Feb 1995 04:25:51 GMT

In article <3h3ot0$vk@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, hideogump@aol.com (Hideo Gump) writes:
>Well here I go again. I have tried to get a response to this query now for
>days but all anyone seems to want to talk about are waterloged apes and
>Adam & Eve,who as we all know were created from an apple tree in the book
>of Guiness, in the Bible; a book by Guttenberg.

Well, I don't know a *whole* lot, but I'll answer you in the interest of
getting another thread going ...

> //////and now for the meat of the message\\\\\\\
>
> Recent evidence from Java seems to indicate that homo erectus
>was
>still in Java/Indonesia about the same time as archaic homo sap was in
>Africa,
>the Middle East and Europe.I find it surprising that this ancesteral group
>would
>have coexisted with modern looking humans. This has happened throughout
>our history. Cro-magnon and Neandertal in Europe and the Middle East,Homo
>Erectus, and 2 Australopithecine species in Africa. The same article in
>Discover magizine in which I read about the recent age of fossils found in
>Java says that
>the oldest erectus fossils found there are almost as old as erectus
>findings in
>Africa which would explain the abscence of stone tools with the bones.

Why would you be surprised that they co-existed? Evolution isn't likely to
occur everywhere at once, but gradually, and usually in a smaller, more
isolated population. So, if Cro-Magnon evolved from erectus evolved from
habilis evolved from Austra., it wouldn't have happened suddenly in one
great bang -- you'd still have the rest of the population about, until the
new form outcompeted them or whatever. I personally find it interesting
that the newest suggested date for the Java erectus seems to coincide with
the earliest habilis specimens (around 2mya for both). Of course, there is
still alot of controversy surrounding habilis taxonomy. There is no reason
to believe in one single line of hominids, it's more likely there were alot
of species about, similar to most other animals today (except humans).

>There
>were no stone tools associated with these sites because the migration to
>this
>part of Asia took place before they were invented. There I've said it!
>Any opinion or info on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
> Still Yours,
> Hideo Gump
Hope this helped some. Appreciate the chance to discuss it!
C.R.Cooper
Dept. of Anthropology
SUNY Albany