Re: "Bipolar mind"

Dale Huckeby (daleh@efn.org)
4 Feb 1995 12:03:49 -0800

In article <NESSUS.95Feb2114836@twitch.mit.edu>,
Douglas Alan <nessus@mit.edu> wrote:
>In article <3gq0l7$bch$1@mhade.production.compuserve.com> Daniel Hale
><76143.614@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>
>> There was a book published back in the '70s that I'm looking for. It
>> was called [something something] _Divisions of the Bipolar Mind_.
>> The jist of this book is that Homo brains were significantly
>> different as late as 1200 BC compared to modern brains, in that the
>> separation between the conscious and subconcious mind was not as
>> wide as today.
>
>I don't recall the exact name of the book, but it is closer to *The
>Rise of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind*.
>The great congitive theorist Marvin Minsky described this book as the
>most interesting book he's ever read that is obviouysly false.

*The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind* by
Julian Jaynes is the book in question. Houghton Mifflin is the publisher.
It came out in 1976 and there was new edition in 1990 with an afterword
by the author. What I'm wondering is, did Minsky just say it was "obviously
false", or did he explain why he thought so?

Dale Huckeby