Re: history questions: meat, siberian land bridge, horses in th

Doug Kihn (vivacuba@ix.netcom.com(Doug)
16 Dec 1996 07:56:22 GMT

In <N.121696.011755.80@atl-ga13-20.ix.netcom.com> johnel@ix.netcom.com
writes:

>On 12/15/96 11:03PM, in message <592hll$ba8@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>,
>jimamy@primenet.com wrote:
>
>> johnel@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>>
>> >While living in Meeteetsee, Wyoming (everyone knows where THAT is,
right?)
>> and
>> >after having been a vegetarian for two years, I worked on a ranch
feeding 60
>> >lb. bales of hay to the cattle, after stacking 30 or 40 bales on
the
>> ranchers
>> >pickup, sometimes in 40-below-zero weather. Yeehah! No lack of
protein
>> there!!
>> >
>> >(Must have been all those soybeans...)
>> >
>> >;]
>> >
>> >John
>>
>> After hiking three weeks in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness of
Idaho and
>> living only off the plants I identified as edible from two books I
brought
>> in with me, I managed to climb, with my eighty pound pack from the
>> confluance of the Selway and Clearwater up to the Montana border
near El
>> Capitan. I was so weak and spending so much time in search of food
and
>> spending so much time eating it that I had no strenght to climb out
>> Gardiner peak and back to "civilization." I then knew why herbivors
spend
>> so much time eating with their face in the grass. I also knew why
my
>> vegitarian freinds spend so much time eating so much more so much
more
>> often. I almost died. I then shot a little ground squirrel, about
the
>> size of my fist. I ate him and within fifteen minutes I felt like
super
>> man. I climbed right up to Gardiner Peak, back down to the Selway
and
>> out with no problem. I knew then and there that the life of an
omnivor
>> free's up so much more time for so much more in the way of creative
and
>> physical energy. I also knew why lions, wolves and scavengers like
>> buzzards just lay around for a weak after a big meal. Eating meat
which
>> has been generated by another animal that spends all its time eating
is
>> cost effective and time efficient.
>>
>> I'll buck bales with you in Meeteetse, Bondurant, Kaycee, Greybull
or
>> wherever. No storebought food. Just what you get from the land and
just
>> what I get from the land. You eat vegitarian, I'll eat omnivourous
and
>> I'll be bucken bales and feeding by sleigh long into the winter
after your
>> dead and frozen on the ground.
>>

>Yeah, that's what they said in Wyoming then, too. The rancher I worked
for
>mused at one time that he didn't think a vegetarian would be able to
work like
>he & I did... and since I was working for a cattle-rancher, I didn't
think it
>prudent to advise him that I hadn't eaten any meat in quite a while...
job
>security, you know :)
>
>If you want to live off the land, survival-style, yes, you'll have a
tough
>time. Personally, I don't advocate a pure vegetarian diet, but through

>combining grains, legumes, seeds, and nuts, you can get a very high
quality
>protein, especially if you don't mind supplementing with the
occasional cheese
>or milk. It takes a little knowledge and some sources, but eating less
meat and
>more of that other stuff I mentioned does most of us a world of good.
>
>All you really needed to be able to pack yourself out of that valley
was a good
>peanut-butter-on-whole-wheat sandwich!
>
>BTW, it wouldn't hurt to do as the Indians did when they killed for
food: tell
>the spirit of the departed animal they were sorry, and grateful...
>
>John

John,
How about a squirrel & peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat?
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehah!

Actually, if everyone was given a meat ration card whereby each
adult would have to visit a meat farm evey so often and slaughter
his/her own meat, and get that stamped on the card, in order to
purchase meat in the store, wouldn't that put people in touch with the
spiritual issue and cut way down on the unhealthy obsessive consumption
of meat?

Dr. Doug

(We're drifting pretty far away from anthorpology, BTW. This would
never pass on the moderated channel)