Re: the Ik

Judith Eubank (jeubank@mail2.sas.upenn.edu)
9 Dec 1996 21:48:27 GMT

In article <32AC57FC.5C00@paragon-networks.com>,
Doug McKean <doug_mckean@paragon-networks.com> wrote:
>hsman@tuna.net wrote:
>>
>> Seems I read about a group of primitive people, this century, called
>> the Ik (spelling?) noted for their lack of kindness, compassion. Anyone
>> having a better memory than I who might know about a book on them
>> written at least 25 years ago, I'd appreciate a contact by e-mail at
>> hsman@tuna.net
>> Thanks in advance
>> Harry Shifman

Yes. They were studied by an anthropologist named, I believe, Colin
Turnbull. The Mountain People is a title that occurs to me. They were
absolutely awful to each other, but their awfulness seems to have arisen
partly because they were uprooted from their traditional culture and set
to farming. They exemplified social breakdown in the face of unwanted
and imposed change.

Judith