Re: Homo amphibius and Hypothermia

Troy Kelley (tkelley@hel4.brl.mil)
Tue, 27 Dec 1994 16:39:10 GMT

Subject: Re: Homo amphibius and Hypothermia
From: Phillip Bigelow, n8010095@henson.cc.wwu.edu
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1994 17:50:09 GMT
In article <1994Dec25.175009.3738@henson.cc.wwu.edu> Phillip Bigelow,
n8010095@henson.cc.wwu.edu writes:
>98810399@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu writes:
>
>> A swimmer once told me that humans can suffer from hypothermia
>> if many hours are spent in the water -- even fairly warm water
>> (less than body temp, I guess).
>>
>> Does anyone know if this is true?
>>
>> -APB
>
> Yes, it is, _particularly_ in animals that weigh less than 500 lbs.
There
>are no small, hairless, semi-aquatic mammals or small hairless fully
> aquatic mammals living today. All small endotherms need protective fir.
>Large endotherms such as the elephant and the whales, lack hair, because

(stuff deleted)

> My reference for the necessity of hair on small mammals is:
>
> Schmidt-Nielsen, K. 1975. Animal Physiology. Adaptation and
> Environment. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
>
> My reference on the body mass of Lucy (A. afarensis) is:
>
> Carroll, R.L. 1988. Vertebrate Paleontology and Evolution.
> Freeman Press, 698 pages.
> <pb>

See if you can post a reference as to the weight of the average dolphin.
My guess is that an average dolphin weights less than 500 pounds. I would
guess, A LOT LESS. Probably about 250 pounds for a male. So how can a
dolphin weighing less than 500 pounds possibly stay warm in the water??

Troy Kelley