Re: The scientific method and the AAH

Phil Nicholls (pn8886@csc.albany.edu)
11 Dec 1994 14:48:19 GMT

In article <rodhagen-1012942206190001@203.0.9.175>,
Rod Hagen <rodhagen@insane.apana.org.au> wrote:

>In article <3c0s1a$cfn@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, patdooley@aol.com (Pat
>Dooley) wrote:
>>
>> Hairlessness a simple mutation? So how come we can just about divide
>> mammals into three categories:
>>

>> 1. Hairy land dwellers.
>> 2. Large hairless aquatic and wallowing mammals.
>> 3. Small oily haired, multi-coated semi-aquatic mammals.
>>

>> For a savannah animal, hairlessness is just about the stupidest mutation
>> possible. It removes protection from the tropical sun; it reduces the
>> efficiency of sweating, and it removes thermal insulation against
>> surprisingly frigid savannah
>> nights.
>>

>> The savannah theory, in all its mutations, has never actually come up with a
>> plausible explanation for hairlessness.
>

>Somebody better tell the rhinos and the elephants about this. Or have they
>both just jumped out of the pool too? Both seemed to have survived "just
>about the stupidest mutation possible" pretty well (at least until we got
>them.)

Why Rod, don't you know? Elephants and rhinos ARE aquatic beasts. You
really need to spend more time reading Elaine Morgan.

[tougue removed from cheek now]

I'm afraid that is not as funny as it sounds.

--
Philip "Chris" Nicholls Department of Anthropology
Institute for Hydrohominoid Studies SUNY Albany