Re: Equids

Kathleen Hunt (jespah@u.washington.edu)
5 Dec 1994 02:03:25 GMT

In article <3brgej$afk@shore.shore.net>, whittet <whittet@shore.net> wrote:
>The first evidence for domestication of the horse, appears to have
>been located in Siberia, dated to around 7,000 BC. Again, please
>correct me if I am wrong.
I think that's pretty close. Though I thought it was further to the west
that the domestication took place.

>Would you be able to tell from the development of the bones in the leg
>whether or not a man rode a horse?

Possibly. Riders tend to have unusually strong inner thigh muscles.

It's also sometimes possible to determine from a horse's teeth if it has
been kept in captivity, by 1) microscratches on the canines, wolf teeth
[first premolar] or second premolar from a metal bit, or 2) wear patterns
on the incisors from cribbing, a bad habit that bored domestic horses
sometimes develop of chewing on wood (not seen in wild horses).

>and then ridden back home on horseback, or perhaps even taken
>horses with them on their boats.
Huh?

>If it happened that over a rather long
>period of time people coasted their way
>to the Americas, and then came suddenly roaring back
>as hoards of cavalry, it might explain why the
>migration patterns in Asia seem to be from East to west.

Are you thinking that the Asian horses might have come from America?
American horses were a different subspecies than the Asian horses,
and distinctly different skeletally. Or are you thinking that the Asians
might have gotten the *knowledge* of taming horses from people who sailed
back to Asia, and then tamed their own native Asian horses? I don't think
that'll fly...could mainland cultures do that sort of open-ocean voyage?
I know the Polynesians could, but that's not really the Asian mainland,
is it? And crossing the Pacific is something only people from a really
ocean-oriented culture could do successfully. (IMHO.) It's a whopping
journey.

Just seems a lot more complicated than is necessary. Seems a lot more
likely that horse-taming spread out from its original site in Asia (not
least because it's easiest to learn horse-taming and horse-riding if you
can start by getting hold of an already-trained horse).

Kathleen Hunt

--
If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as
the man and then compare the relative brain size, we now find that the