Re: Dissecting the Aquatic Ape: Bipedalism

Phillip Bigelow (bh162@scn.org)
17 Aug 1996 19:13:47 GMT

Elaine Morgan <elaine@desco.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <4ug4rh$m60@jules-verne.libby.org> bh162@scn.org wrote...
>
>> Paul Crowley <Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> >I suggest that paleoanthropologists have, once again, let
>> >themselves be fooled by a taphonic bias.
>>
>> In typical Crowley style, you have again failed to realize that
>> paleontologists DEFINED the concept of taphonomic bias, not AAT-supporters.
>> Elaine never mentioned this concept in her books on the AA,
>> and until we brought the subject to your attention here on
>> this newsgroup, neither did most of the other AAT-supporters.
>> who by my reckoning, don't bother to read highly technical
>> academic research written by paleontologists in the first place.

>This kind of blanket put-down really doesn;t work.
>Similarly you don't bother to read highly technical academic research
>in other disciplines.

Speak for yourself.
Regarding the issue of what material AAT supporters should read, they
SHOULD read anything regarding paleontology and paleoanthropology that
they can get their hands on (technical literature included).
It's called broadening your horizons and perspectives, Elaine.
Heck, it could (theoretically) work even for you, not to mention your
supporters.

Technical academic paleontologic literature was written for a purpose,
that being TO BE READ. It doesn't preclude amatuers from reading the
same literature, either.
<pb>