Re: Dissecting the Aquatic Ape: Bipedalism

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 02 Aug 96 18:51:43 GMT

In article <rfoyDvIJ8u.EE1@netcom.com> rfoy@netcom.com "Richard Foy" writes:

> Are you sure about the big cats. I have seem both lions and chetahs
> hunting during the day in East Africa.

Cheetahs are diurnal; they rely on a short burst of high speed;
but they're the exception. Cats as a family (including your own
domestic pussy) are primarily nocturnal. Their adaptations
include excellent night sight and they prefer moonless nights.
Before launching an attack on a moonlit night lions and leopards
will often wait for a cloud to obscure the moon. That is not to
say that they don't hunt during the day, when they have to.
Domestic cats hunt for birds during the day, cos that's when
they're around, and juvenile birds are an easy catch.

I don't have any references to hand, but this would be in the
basic textbooks and encyclopedias.

Paul.