Re: Orangs as Closest

Matthew O. Fraser (mof@prophet.pharm.pitt.edu)
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 21:00:47 -0400

Hey Again,

Dan Grossman wrote:

>Poor Jeff is a persona non grata to most physical anthropologist re his
>assertion that orangs are our closest relatives. Most textbooks do not
discuss >his theory.

Yeah, I do remember that he was good at pissing people off, like
Gingerich. I had always attributed that to his exclusive use of
cladistical analysis. Seemed to shake a lot of colleague's branches.

__________

Steve Barnard wrote:

>I've heard about it, but I don't know the details. It sounds *extremely*
>unlikely to me, but I have an open mind about it.

Yeah, it really rocked the proverbial boat. I'm not saying that I agree
with it, and not any big fan of his, or anything, just wanted to know how
his ideas went over in the long haul. He was a most meticulous person.

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matthew O. Fraser "If you can't answer a man's
Department of Pharmacology arguments, all is not lost.