Re: 12 Questions... please answer.

nrh (N.R.Harrison@ukc.ac.uk)
Thu, 03 Aug 95 14:17:15 BST

In article <3vot48$1go@kira.cc.uakron.edu> r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:
>In article <1995Aug2.194539.17559@bradford.ac.uk> D.Morgan@bradford.ac.uk (Dewi Morgan) writes:

[deletia - good answers to silly questions]

>>4) Is there any evidence to support the Great Flood. In particular, a
>>severe change of climate from a globally temperate climate (the whole
>>world surrounded by water) to one of polar icecaps and equatorial deserts,
>>about 5kya, coupled with a simultaneous flooding. Evidence that would go
>>against this: Ice on icecaps of greater than 3000 bc, animals that would have
>>died in climates even slightly different from those they have now.
>
> No. Not a shread of such evicence. However, note that the
>ancient Mesopotamians, particularly Sumer and Akkad (Akkadian, BTW, is
>a Semitic language--linguistically related to Hebrew--thus suggesting
>considerable cross contact), had "flood myths." Since that region was
>subject to periodic catastrophic floods this is no surprise. In fact,
>the story of Utnapishtim is almost identical with the Hebrew story of
>Noah (since adopted by Christianity), and predates the existance of
>any identifiable Hebrew peoples by two thousand years at least.

Have to disagree with this one, I'm afraid. There is a plethora of evidence
for the Great Flood (or more specifically, a flood) at around 10kbp. This
was the end of the last ice age, and geological evidence (based on isotopes
of oxygen in deep-sea cores) shows a massive surge in the *area* of the oceans
which would suggest a rise in sea-level of around 500 ft. Couple this with
the universality of 'flood myths' from areas as distant as the Middle East,
China, North America, Hawaii and Scandinavia, the mass mammal extinctions
and various other pieces of evidence, and you have incontravertable proof
of a massive flood; sadly, too long ago for creationists!

[more deletia]

Neil...