Re: Anthro on TV a lot

Bonedaddy (parker7@uwindsor.ca)
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 17:29:31 GMT

On Mon, 24 Apr 1995, Keith Dever wrote:
> Why has Anthropology enjoyed such a surge in coverage on TV lately? Examples
> are _The Human Quest_ and _Vanishing Worlds_. What have anthropologists done
> to arouse interest among the mass media? Whatever it is, perhaps if we are
> aware of it we can continue to do it and raise the collective conscience of
> viewers (or is that too lofty a goal?). What do you think?
>
> It's probably enjoying more exposure because in general the education
level of society is increasing. Almost everyone I know has either taken
an intro. course in anthro and completely enjoyed it, but because they
can't see a future job in it (heck...maybe they're right) they never
continue. It's always intresting to find out wher we came from. Also
it's just the channels are getting much better, and more devoted to
education instead of blood, carnage, sex and drugs.

Michael Parker | Sex is hereditary...if your parents
T.A., Hon. B.A. Anthropology | never had it, chances are you
University of Windsor | won't either.