Re: The New Stone Age, Homeless

Vincent DeLuca (vincent1@ix.netcom.com)
23 Apr 1995 22:56:09 GMT

In <ifjed.640.2F96CEF3@nmsua.nmsu.edu> ifjed@nmsua.nmsu.edu (Jack
Davis) writes:

>It just struck that the mentality of, at least, a segment of the
homeless
>may be somewhat similar to the Stone Age mentality. This is not a
joke or
>meant to be derogatory. I happen to find some parts of the Stone Age
>quite fascinating, e.g., the sometimes simple, but wonderful monuments

>they built. At least some of the homeless have consciously rejected
the
>cluttered, complicated, ultramaterialistic modern lifestyle to live
hand to
>mouth (somehow doing my taxes brings this topic to mind), what outdoor

>survival expert Larry Dean Olson called the "affective" lifestyle
>(necessity the modern of invention). The prehistoric Stone Agers, of
>course, didn't have access to modern stuff. But neither do the modern
Stone
>Age People once they have either rejected or been ejected from modern
>society.
>
>I'm not a romantic, I know it's often not a pretty picture out there
on the
>street, but I think it would be fascinating to see (if possible) into
the
>minds of some of these modern Stone Age people.

When I was a child the Homeless were called Hobos and
they were >so numerous that they had there own Newspaper called:" The
Hobo News"
They are neurotic individuals that gravitate toward that type
>of life style and most have a propensity for drugs and alcohol.I have
> no real empathy for them: they have existed all through human
history. At times, probably in periods of remission, they leave the
fold and become useful citizens.
One must remember that Loren Eiseley (author of "The Immense
Journey",etc. was once a Hobo but you must read all of his works to
understand his departure from these"people"
I hope that the reader is not foolish enough to read predjucide
in this post.
Vincent1