Changes in Pennsylvania Statutes will result in loss of arch.

Hugh W. Jarvis (hjarvis@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:07:59 -0500

This is pretty frightening! It signals a major decline in cultural
responsibility, I think. (please don't reply to me as I am not the
originator of this message).

Hugh

Hugh Jarvis...hjarvis@acsu.buffalo.edu
...tis better to be silent and thought a fool
than to reply and remove all doubt... (oops)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Kenny - MCDOT <KENNY@planning.mcdot.maricopa.gov>
From: TomWheaton
Subject: Press Release on Archeological Resources
Date: Wednesday, March 13, 1996 9:55AM
The following message concerns the Pennsylvania SHPO situation. It was
given to Dan Roberts at John Milner Associates by Representative Phyllis
Mundy for distribution to concerned parties on the Internet. Dan asked me
to give it as wide a distribution as possible. Please feel free to pass it
along to other individuals and lists that may be interested. I apologize
for duplicate postings in advance. Tom Wheaton, Executive Director ACRA

From: Pennsylvania Rep. Phyllis Mundy
Re: Attached Press Release on Archeological Resources
March 1, 1996

The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission will no longer be able to
protect the historic archeological resources of the Commonwealth when they
are impacted by residential or industrial development that requires
Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) permits. Prior to the passage
of Act 70 in 1996, developers were required, as a condition of receiving DEP
permits, to either avoid known significant archeological sites or to bear
the costs of archeological surveys and data recovery. Act 70 shifted the
burden to fund archeology on DEP permitted sites to the PHMC. Despite
commitments, the Governor's 1996-1997 Budget provides no funding to PHMC to
carry out Act 70 duties. See attached press release. Questions contact:
Rep. Phyllis Mundy (717) 783-1614 or Michael Cassidy (717) 787-4989

OFFICE OF DEMOCRATIC LEGISLATIVE INFORMATION
PA House of Representatives, G-01 South Office Building
House Box 202229, Harrisburg, PA 17120-2229
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE / CONTACT: Bill Patton (717) 787-7895

PHMC Lacks Funding to Keep Promise; Sites Will Be Lost
HARRISBURG, March 1 -- Under questioning from Rep. Phyllis Mundy, D-Luzerne,
the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission revealed Thursday that it
is unable to keep its commitment to protect historic archeological
resources. In the past, developers seeking state permits were required to
redesign development to avoid significant archeological sites or pay the
cost of
archeological surveys and recovery. Act 70 of 1995 removed the incentive
for developers to avoid sites and shifted survey costs to the PHMC. Under
the new law, developers only are required to give the commission 90 days to
complete archeological work. That
is assuming the commission has funds to do the work. In response to Mundy's
direct question, PHMC Executive Director Dr. Brent
Glass informed the House Appropriations Committee that there are no new
funds to carry out the commission's new duties. He said that 80 permit
applications have been filled since the new law took effect at the end of
January and that six of those sites have been found to contain significant
archeological resources. Glass further admitted that "some sites will be
lost." "I and many of my colleagues voted for the bill because we were
assured by the commission and the governor's office that the funds would be
made
available to protect the information these historic sites hold," said Mundy.
"I withdrew an amendment to the bill based on those commitments. "As it
worked out," Mundy added, "Pennsylvania loses some of its precious
historical heritage. And we are doing this at the same time that we are
trying to promote heritage tourism as an important economic development
strategy."