Re: power (long)

Ralph L Holloway (rlh2@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 11:08:18 -0500

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, thomas w kavanagh wrote:

> Instead of Ralph H's somewhat negative definition: power as the ability to
> *prevent* someone from doing something, a wider view would have it as the
> ability to influence the actions of others, both positively and negatively.

Actaully, my point about the power as the ability to deny things, was
what I hoped was the positive message that nonone has power over you
except to the extent that they can deny you something you want.
I didn't want it to be the only possible definition of what power was,
but simply to root part of the perception of what power can be in the
contexts of choice and desire, and some range of dyadic and larger social
relationships. I've no arguments with Tom's points on what power is.
Ralph Holloway to >