Re: Titles and names

Elaine Hills (ehills@SOLEIL.ACOMP.USF.EDU)
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 12:12:35 -0500

I've found that titles don't so much get to me (as I'm still quite
young), but that people judge my age by my looks and treat me at the AGE
level they suppose I'm at, NOT my MATURITY level--which are two entirely
separate things. For instance, at sixteen years old, I'd flown around
the world enough to have the responsibility and sense to be a hostess in
a restuarant which also entitled me as front of the house manager on
duty. My
co-workers (wait staff, etc.) didn't respect me AT ALL as my position
required them to, because they were entirely intimidated by my age. It's
crazy and I guess I can see why people wouldn't want to give me respect
if maybe they're jealous of my position over theirs, but it's all part of
the game of life. To this day I have problems, even as a part-time bank
teller, getting common respect I feel I deserve...maybe when I LOOK fifty
I'll get some respect, I dunno.