Re: text of new Tenn anti-evol. bill

Ralph L Holloway (rlh2@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 12:59:07 -0500

On Sun, 3 Mar 1996, Christopher King wrote:

> So Tennessee law will state that evolution must be taught as theory and
> not stated fact. For me this is a nonsense bill since evolution is only
> a theory. Whether someone believes the theory to be fact is another
> issue. All the teacher is supposed to do is give the evidence in an
> objective manner so that the students can decide for themselves. The
> teacher does not in any way have to profess his/her beliefs.

I take this proposed legislation as anything but nonsense. It's a fine
line of interpretation sometimes between "facts" and "theories", and as I
read this bill, it would not be too damn difficult to mistake one for the
other, or to concoct charges of "insubordination" against someone
teaching about human evolution (or any evolution for that matter). At
the very least, the proposed legislation will have a repressive
inhibiting effect
on thought and inquiry, and presentation of subject matter. Consider: if
I say that the "facts" support the "theory" that humans evolved from
Dryopithecine apes (i.e, the facts being the fossil evidence for shared and
derived
anatomical features, homology, potassium-argon dating, faunal correlates,
successions of geological strata or other data), each of those "facts"
can be interpreted as theoretical, and there is the possibility of an
endless spiral as to what is "fact" and what is merely "interpretation".
This is dreadful, outright reactionary legislation.
Ralph Holloway