Re: Hominid Altitudinal-Latitudinal Adaptations

Chuck Stembridge (rogerdodger@triax.com)
30 Oct 96 04:00:36 GMT

Roger Dodger has this to say about that-
>In article <01bbc444$b24e0b60$LocalHost@dan-pc>, "Rohinton Collins"
><rohinton@collins.prestel.co.uk> writes:

>>It seems reasonable to me that the most parsimonious reason for the naked
>>body of Homo sapiens is because we wear clothes. At some point in human
>>evolution, hominids took to wearing clothes (obviously). With clothes
>>taking over (for the most part) the job of insulation of the body, it
>>became hairless. This was reinforced by the
>>fact that sweating became far more efficient. So a clothes-wearing
>hominid
>>would benefit from nakedness both in the summer and the winter.
>>
>>Does this make to much sense for some of you?

>Why would a creature with a perfectly good coat of hair (or fur) decide to
>invent clothing? This theory should be called the "Fashion Ape Theory" or
>FAT.

It seems that your argument is for "Evolution through Aquired Characteristics."
This is like saying if you cut off the tails of rats for a long period of time,
then breed ONLY the tail-less rats, sooner or later they will begin producing
tail-less offspring.

For some unknown reason, Homo sapiens began developing hairlessness all on his
own, without any help from clothing. I doubt that we will ever know the genetic
reasoning behind this. Wearing of clothes became a neccessity for early man,
living as he was in a much cooler climate. This is a simple Cause and Effect
reasoning: Hairlessness=Clothes not Clothes=Hairlessness.

Roger Dodger
from the City-State of the Invincible Overlord
Single tasking? Just say no!