Re: Body Hair Loss in Aquatic Mammals

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
18 Oct 1995 13:27:21 -0400

pnich@globalone.net (Phil Nicholls) writes:

>Let's assume you are correct, however. The function of sebum (the
>substance secreted by sebaceous glands, is to keep the skin from
>drying out. Ask yourself where a biped is most likely to have the
>sun beating down on them.

On top of its head.

Then explain why the hair from the top of the head didn't
disappear to cool of the body when the rest of the body
lost all its hair. There's more blood per mass going to the
brain than probably any other place so that's where heat is
being built up. We should have gotten some kind of
ventilation there or at least gotten rid of the hair but that's
where the hair remains especially on males (i.e. the head).

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey