Re: Lucy's weight

Jim Foley (jimf@vangelis.FtCollins.NCR.com)
17 Oct 1995 19:26:18 GMT

In article <460e03$2d8@news.cc.ucf.edu>,
Thomas Clarke <clarke@acme.ucf.edu> wrote:

>Then since Lucy was half my height, if she were in linear^3 proportion
>to me, she should have weighed 1/8 as much, or perhaps 25-30 pounds.
>Since my wife tells me that I am getting too plump, I guess that
>means that Lucy was even plumper?
>
>(None of the standard weight tables go down to 3 foot height :-)

Lucy's height is usually given at 3'6". Also she was probably more
robust than modern humans with more bone and muscle mass, and (I think)
short legs and hence a longer torso. I have no problem thinking that
she may have been 60 lbs or more.

--

Jim (Chris) Foley, jim.foley@symbios.com
Assoc. Prof. of Omphalic Envy Research interest: