Re: `CRAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN'!

rejohnsn@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:36:54 -0600

On 19 Nov 1996, Ed Conrad wrote:

> > edconrad@prolog.net (Ed Conrad) writes:
>
> > The WORLD'S MOST IMPORTANT FOSSIL, unquestionably, is
> > a petrified human skull embedded in a boulder which was discovered
> > between anthracite veins in Carboniferous strata near Shenandoah, Pa.
>
> Funny, though, that two individuals highly respected in their fields
> -- Wilton M. Krogman, author of ``The Human Skeleton in Forensic
> Medicine," and Raymond M. Dart, M.D., discoverer of the significance
> of the Taung Skull and one of the world's most famous and respected
> human anatomists -- felt my specimens not only COULD be petrified
> bones, but are.
>
> I suppose another believer would have to be Jeremy Dahl, the bone
> expert at Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center -- the most
> prestigious laboratory of its kind in the world -- who stated in
> writing above his signature that one of the specimens he had examined
> microscopically indeed is petrified bone.

<snip lots of other references to authorities>

I note that this has not been cross-posted to talk.origins. This is
particularly interesting because over in t.o I have seen discussions of
putative bones, analyzed and said to be `like' bone by various
professionals. Only thing is, the people who have held up such `bones'
conveniently leave out the parts where said professionals say that even
though they are `like' bones, they are _NOT_ bone, or that said
professionals are not competent to SAY whether or not something is bone.
Basically we see a distortion of half-truths.

Not to say that Conrad's bones are among those which have been so
discussed over in t.o, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. They
sure do ring a bell. The t.o FAQ might have some interesting things to
say about this.

Cheers,
Rebecca Lynn Johnson
Ph.D. stud., Dept. of Anthropology, U Iowa

aka
Rebecca Lynn "protot-Chris" Johnson
Postgraduate in Post-Colonial Theories of Isostatic Encephalization
Dept. of Programs, Division of Faculties, College of Schools, U Ediacara