Re: An alternative to ST and AAT

Gerrit Hanenburg (G.Hanenburg@inter.nl.net)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:51:41 GMT

susansf@netcom.com (Susan S. Chin) wrote:

>For what it's worth, this is how I'd define the two:

>Bipedal locomotion
> striders - an exclusive hominid form of locomotion involving major
>changes in the pelvic, hip, knee and foot anatomy (this includes both the
>hard evidence, bones, and soft tissue). Progresses forward in a
>straight ahead direction.

> waddlers - type of locomotion found in non-habitually bipedal apes while
>on the ground. No changes in anatomy required (aside from using the
>forelimbs for balance vs. as another pair of "legs"). Progresses forward
>in a lateral direction.

I'm not happy with a more formal use of "waddlers".
There are two main categories of bipedalism:
-Alternating (=bipedal striding)
-Saltatorial (=bipedal hopping)

Penguins,modern humans,bipedal chimps,etc.are placed in the former
category,kangaroos,springhares,etc. in the latter. "Waddling" should
only be considered an (informal) subcategory of alternating
(=striding) bipedalism.
The striding bipedalism of penguins,ducks and chimpanzees may then be
further specified as "waddling" while that of modern humans and
ostriches may not. No anatomical details need to be specified,only
movements of the body or bodyparts relative to the main direction of
movement.

Gerrit