Re: An alternative to ST and AAT

Phillip Bigelow (bh162@scn.org)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:27:29 -0800

Susan S. Chin wrote:

> She may not be as efficient or
> elegant a strider as later hominids, but neither did she struggle in her
> bipedal locomotion. I'd like to hear what those who think otherwise
> explain the evidence of afarensis' bipedal gait from the Laetoli footprints.

Perhaps the footprints aren't from an australopithecine?

I have read ichnology studies on quadruped and biped tracks
which show that there are usually more distinct track morphotypes at
any given site than there are sympatric animal taxa to assign these
tracks to!
Not that there is any strong evidence against an australopithicine
track-maker for the Laetoli prints, of course, but the above
anecdote is something to consider.
<pb>