Re: Modern Neanderthals?

wvanhou237@aol.com
10 Nov 1996 17:09:40 GMT

In article <55mce9$67s@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov>, Jonathan Adams <jonathan>
writes:

>Subject: Re: Modern Neanderthals?
>From: Jonathan Adams <jonathan>
>Date: 5 Nov 1996 03:31:21 GMT
>
>er...sorry, but where exactly is the evidence for hybrid vigour amongst
the
>American population? Not in my local grocery store, anyway.

Without the advantage of seeing the message that occasioned the
Q+A
above I think I can give a satisfactory answer. The condition is not
"hybrid vigour"
which is a one generation condition ( mules ), but rather is a result of
natural
selection. I'm following the thought of an anthropologist I was reading at
least
fifty years ago now. From the very first days the people who came to the
shores
of this country were the adventurous, more dissatisfied, and more
intelligent ones
from Europe. Even the ones who were "transported" as convicts were
probably,
on the whole more vigerous and intelligent than average. The selection
process
continued as our population expanded to the west. The more vigerous and
restless
leaving the contented behind. Even after our nation had expanded to it's
present
limits we have had wave after wave of immigrants to furnish fresh blood.

Nowhere in the world today will you find a total population that
is more
inventive, vigerous, hard working, and optimistic than in the U.S. of A.

W F VAN HOUTEN
Older. But wiser ?