Re: mosaic evolution

Tom Clarke (clarke@longwood.cs.ucf.edu)
27 Nov 1995 22:19:56 -0500

Alex Duncan <aduncan@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

>In article <hubey.817439180@pegasus.montclair.edu> H. M. Hubey,

>>All the traits slowly evolving simultaneously as in the
>>way differential or difference equations model them
>>or one at a time serially?

>Unfortunately, I don't know how differential equations would model such
>changes. Perhaps you could provide a short explanation?

I'm sure this is not what Hubey had in mind, but basically you
use a quantum gauge theory with SU(3) symmetry and two Higgs fields
to break the symmetry. Almost immediately you will find solutions
to the differential equations that correspond to photons, electrons,
protons and neutrons. A little more work will get you the periodic
table of elements. Extension to molecular biology and evolution is
left as an exercise for the student.
:-)

Tom Clarke

P.S. The Higgs fields are a little ugly, but all you really need
is something to break the symmetry and give electrons and protons
mass.

--
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment
and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against