Re: Pre-contact diseases anyone???

John D. Brennan IV (John.D.Brennan.IV@dartmouth.edu)
15 Jun 1995 17:51:29 GMT

In article
<Pine.SGI.3.91.950614152612.20828B-100000@server.uwindsor.ca>
Bonedaddy <parker7@uwindsor.ca> writes:

> I seem to recall reading some time ago a journal or magazine artice that
> mentioned possible evidence of smallpox in North America PRIOR to it's
> introduction by western peoples. If anyone has any recall to the existence of such an
> article could you please e-mail me directly with references...?
> Thank-you in advance!
>

> Michael Parker | Sex is hereditary...if your parents
> T.A., Hon. B.A. Anthropology | never had it, chances are you
> University of Windsor | won't either.

Michael,

I spotted it in Discover magazine a while back, it was just a few
paragraphs, but it pictured a new bone find exhibiting the effects of
smallpox dated several hundred years before Columbus. If you can find
that there's more references in the back of the magazine.

John
john.d.brennan@dartmouth.edu