Re: Equids

Tara (tara@wam.umd.edu)
24 Dec 1994 15:13:34 GMT

WIlliam C. Wilson <Wildbill@ilhawaii.net> wrote:

>> whittet <whittet@shore.net> wrote:
>> >"WIlliam C. Wilson" <Wildbill@ilhawaii.net> says:
>> >The original 16 Spanish horses were Andalusian chargers, war horses
>> >designed to carry Conquistadores in full armor.
>I did not say this, while I sayed something similar that was quoted
>further in the above response this line is NOT mine.

Sorry, thought that the quoting capabilities showed the quote to be of
whittet and not yours. I had only kept your name in because the quoting
bit looked like the next bit *was* yours (as you have confirmed).

> The above quote is mine, I intended it to remind people of the
>origins of of the northern European draft horses not the various
>Spanish brands that were the first known to be introduced to the Americas.

Something I should also point out is that the "modern size" of many of
the European draft breeds are a result of relatively "modern" breeding.
Horses such as the Shire are now larger than their "Great Horse"
counterparts. Other horses used for transporting 180 lb men with 100-110
lbs of armour & weapons would have been the Comtois (who averages between
14.3hh and 15.3hh) and the Norik Horse (slightly larger at 16hh but still
much much smaller than the modern Shire).

Andalucians were also used to increase the size of many breeds as well as
decrease and create a "light" horse.

>To my knowledge ALL pre-spanish american horse breeds were extinct
>at the time of the reintroduction by the spanish (and subsequent additions
>by the other European traders). To my knowledge the Polish wild horse
>(I can' spell it but it was named in the prior article) is the closest
>thing extant to the original wild horse before domestication

I'm assuming you are referring to the Tarpan which would have been
domesticated by the Celts (I think I have that right). But I thought the
Yakut would be closer to the original wild horse before domestication.
It is type 2 (I think that is what it is called, I am a medievalist and a
horse-person, not an anthropologist or archaeologist) descended and would
be in the same region as reindeer as well as Northeast Asia and be a
likely substitute for domestication other than the reindeer.

>I beleive that the latest archeological
>evidence suggests that the southern Ukraine/Georgia area had horses
>trained to bit and bridle @6000-7000BC. If you know of earlier dates
>please let me know.

Again that, I believe, would be what I learned as 'type 2' and the
precurser of the Yakut.

--
_
Tara R. Scholtz University of Maryland at College Park >@)