Re: Feeling the heat

Stephanie Marlin-Curiel (shh4448@IS.NYU.EDU)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 09:24:31 -0500

Frankly I have not read through all the previous posts and roastings. I
tend to get very impatiant with all the flaming that goes on on this
list so I am going to disagree with you (John McCreery) with the utmost
respect because I
usually find your posts worth reading. Although I agree that labelling
can tend toward essentialism and had been dangerous and even hateful in
many contexts, to not call a society patriarchal if it is is to accept it
as just status quo. Calling a society patriarrchal in either an
antrhopological sense or in an ideological sense shows that it is as
opposed to matriarchal, it at least brings up the alternative. Also you
seem to imply that most societies are patriarchal so we should just live
with it. I most of those societies, starting with our own leads not only
to the inequality, but also often to the objectification, domestication and
not to mention violence on many levels against women. And though I
don't have time to research it now, I suspect you are a bit quick to label
most societies as patriarchal. Perhaps in our part of the world and from
our point of view...It depends in part what you mean by a society. If you
mean society as defined by the state, perhaps, but there are several
religious societies and cults which are matriarchal...

Respectfuly yours,

Stephanie Marlin-Curiel
shh4448@is.nyu.edu