Re: Patriarchy, evolution, etc.

Matthew Hill (mhhill@WATARTS.UWATERLOO.CA)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 08:27:11 -0500

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Ralph L Holloway wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Ruby Rohrlich wrote:
>
> > Ronald: It is Peter Junger who defined a society ruled by old men as a
> > patriarchy. He is apparently not familiar with the word "gerontocracy",

Tasteless personal attack deleted

> I never thought of a "gerontocracy" as gender specific. Does it have to be?
> rh

According to the OED it is. "Government by old men".

The same authority insists that while patriarchy is also governement by men
that those men must be the heads of families (literal or figurative).

Just to mix threads; my appeal to the OED is, of course, a resort to
AUTHORITY, it lacks POWER. One must honour it out of respect rather than
coercion.

Matthew Hill (mhhill@watarts.uwaterloo.ca)